Hours: Full Time
Contract: Initially a 1 year contract, with the possibility of extending thereafter
The Institute for Fiscal Studies is a not-for-profit research institute based in central London. It is a small, friendly and busy organisation, with around 50 staff. We carry out high-quality academically rigorous research into economic policy and aim to inform the public debate to help politicians, journalists and others to understand the implications of policies and their impact on people and companies.
We are looking for an experienced Accounts Assistant to join the team. The IFS is a small organisation and the successful applicant will be expected to take on a variety of tasks. Allocated duties to include:
- Coding and checking invoices and ensuring invoices are appropriately approved
- Paying suppliers and employee expenses via BACS and bank transfers
- Filing invoices and statements
- Dealing with purchase ledger enquiries
- Checking and processing staff expenses
- Managing recharges to third parties
Processing sales invoices, receipts and payments
- Setting up new clients
- Producing invoices and checking VAT codings
- Chasing up outstanding debts
- Sorting out any rebates and filing
- Daily cash management
- Month end bank reconciliations
- Monitoring of petty cash
- Processing all transactions accurately and efficiently
- Taking and reconciling payments - cheque, debit/credit card & cash
- Foreign currency payments/receipts
Key attributes and qualifications
- Applicants must be highly numerate and have experience of using financial systems, databases and spreadsheets.
- Intermediate (good) knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint is helpful.
- Good working knowledge of financial processes
- Well organised; capable of getting things done working to tight deadlines, using initiative and common sense.
- Flexible, self-motivated with a real desire to deliver excellent customer service.
- Good time-keeper. Well-presented. Capable of working in a team and without supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, coupled with an eye for detail, personal resilience, a commitment to excellence and the ability to deliver high-quality work
- Experience in similar role in small/medium sized organisation
Please send your CV and a short covering letter to email@example.com with the subject “Accounts Assistant”.